Email us c/- The PRACE Office: office [at] prace.vic.edu.au *
Phone: +613 9462 6077
*replace [at] with the email @
The authors of this collection one day realised they’d had enough of the lack of fun, interesting, easy-to-read stories for “completely beginning” adult readers.
So these teachers produced this collection mainly to meet the needs of their students.
Anne Dunn, Chris Malakar and Moira Hanrahan have worked in many settings, and are very experienced in High Schools, Community Schools, Language Centres, TAFE & Community Education Centres.
All three have worked at Preston Reservoir Adult Community Education (PRACE), where this writing adventure began.
PageTurners are short, easy-to-read stories for adults learning to read.
Published by PRACE (Preston Reservoir Adult Community Education), the books are designed by experienced teachers to suit the needs of adults learning to read. Aimed to show beginners that reading can also be fun, the books are sometimes funny, sometimes irreverent, and always on topics of interest to adults.
Some features of PRACE PageTurners:
- More accessible reading levels than most commercial texts
(books range from 100 – 700 words in length)
- Stories appropriate for older readers (no baby books here)
- Suitable for ESL or literacy students
- Illustrated with entertaining cartoons
- A complete word list at the back of each book
- Contain follow-up exercises and discussion topics
- Books are supported by this website with free extra support materials, and a blog.
Listen and read along, with our audio versions:
- you can listen to the stories read aloud by the authors here on the website
- on each single book page for series 4-6,
- or purchase a companion audio CD for series 3.
Though produced by a small, not-for-profit suburban education provider in Melbourne (Australia), PRACE PageTurners suit adult beginners so well that they have become popular internationally, in Canada and the USA as well as Australia and NZ.